Your instructor will pass out a syllabus. It may come via email or it may be on the first day of class. This document contains all of the important information you need to know about the class. Here is some of this information:
· Professor’s name
· Office hours
· Phone number and email address
· Description of the class
· Class requirements
· Grade requirements
· Absence and tardiness policy
· Reading and test schedule
· Daily schedule
This is a very important document to keep. The course syllabus is the contract between you and your professor. Sometimes, professors will have students sign a copy of the syllabus and give it back. They do this so that everyone understands things like the test schedule or attendance policy.
Tasks to Complete
1. Find all of the important information from the list above on your syllabus and make a note of it.
2. Organize your class materials. You should have a folder or organizer for each class.
3. Make a photocopy or scan your class syllabi. Carry one copy with you and tack the other one to your corkboard. You’ll be glad later that you did this.
4. Answer the following:
a. What did you find difficult?
b. What new ways have you discovered to organize in order to increase learning?